Will there be any new music from System Of A Down? Well in an extensive facebook post Serj Tankian reveals many different reasons stopped producing new music all those years ago. Serj reveals that he was the reason that System Of A Down went on hiatus and explains the 3 main reasons behind this as:
- Artistic: I’ve always felt continuing to do the same thing with the same people over time is artistically redundant even for a dynamic outfit like ours. By that time I felt that I needed a little time to do my own work. I wasn’t discounting restarting the process with the band later.
- Egalitarianism: When we first started out our creative input and financial revenue splits were close to equal within the band. By the time Mezmerize/Hypnotize came around we were at the diametrically opposite end on both with Daron controlling both the creative process and making the lions share of publishing not to mention wanting to be the only one to do press.
- I wanted to leave the band before Mezmerize/Hypnotize for these developing reasons. This is why I personally don’t feel as close to the music on those records. There were songs I wanted to bring in but was hampered by unkept promises coupled by my own passivity at the time.
Although this doesn’t mention the return of the band Serj does go on to explain how he would like the band to move on and progress in the future.
- Equal creative input: by this time I had released 5 of my own records and was a better songwriter musically and Daron was getting better as a lyricist, so I said let’s each bring in 6 songs that all band members approve fully and work on them along with songs or riffs from Shavo.
- Equal publishing split: I personally feel that a band is an equal partnership and finances should reflect that.
- Directors cut: whomever wrote the song makes the final decision after exhausting all types of ideas from anybody within the group. I did this because in the past, I’d bring in a song that would be morphed into an undesirable version that I myself would withdraw from consideration.
- Develop a new concept or theme so that it’s not just a record but a full experience.
Although nothing is set in stone, the fact that their hiatus situation is more transparent could mean that things are looking promising for the future! Maybe we can look forward to some new classics, maybe Chop Suey 2?
You can read the full post below and see how you feel about Serj’s honesty and proposal moving forward.